Friday, May 19, 2023

Does Siren Kimmie Float?

With a nickname like Siren, one would have to assume I am a fan of the sea.  I have been smitten with water since I was a child.  Meanwhile, Gerald has always offered up a safe respect for anything involving the potential for drowning.  We went to Carolina Beach once and he sat on the shore as I dove through the crashing waves.  He nearly had a heart attack each time I went under, fearing I was never coming back up.  He was content with me sitting beside him on dry land watching the sun go down, enjoying the ocean breeze.

Last month Gerald and I spent a week camping at Cheraw State Park.  We grew envious of the kayakers enjoying an idyllic paddle around Lake Juniper.  I was a bit shocked when Gerald said it looked like fun; I remained skeptical as he assured me, so long as he had a life vest, kayaking would safely fit into his comfort zone.  I thought this was just a casual conversation until the following week when he began sending me links to different kayaks.

He was serious!  Hell yeah, we're getting kayaks!  

Focusing on the logistics of transporting two kayaks with the rooftop tent already taking up so much real estate on the truck bed, I started shopping for a cheapy blow-up style on Amazon.  Meanwhile, Gerald had his own ideas.  He was full-stop against a blow-up kayak.  No matter what built-in safety features were offered he would not even consider something that could deflate underneath him.  Our focus was about to shift as Gerald offered up a link for the Oru folding kayak.

What-in-the-floating-milk-carton-hell is this? I nearly spit out my coffee as I watched a sheet of semi-tranparent plastic fold up into an origami-style boat.

"You've got to be kidding me," I said.
"There is no way you are going to feel safe in that thing."
"It's cool," he replied.
 "Just watch the videos."

Trying to keep an open mind, we slogged through a plethora of reviews.  It wasn't long before we landed on footage of an Oru that had sprung a leak.  That was a "hells no" moment; the Oru was officially a no-go.

Thinking there must be other folding kayaks on the market, the search continued.  If the most important aspect was sturdiness, that box was instantly checked by Tucktec.  We stared on wide-eyed at a demonstration involving a violent attack upon the kayak with a hammer.  Now this is the Kayak for us! We watched every available review and couldn't find anything that would sway us away from this option.

Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner.

Introducing the Tucktec folding Kayak.  Made in the Carolinas out of recycled plastic, boasting a sturdy, easily transportable design, it comes complete with a three-year warranty, and great price; arriving at Siren Estates next week.  (Get your very own Tucktec kayak here:  https://alnk.to/44Txvey)




Check out Siren Kimmie Adventures at all of these fine establishments:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SirenKimmie
Facebook Page: Facebook Siren Kimmie Adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment